Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Mobile Marketing Revisited

Yesterday, I was not able to post as I was (and still am) suffering from some kinda bug in the gut -- my colleague said that I must have contracted salmonella from the tomatos I had for lunch yesterday (I HATE tomatos, but I ate 2 yesterday just to force myself to try them) .... all joking aside, I slept for 14 hours yesterday (after I got home from work), and had an "interesting" night with the cold shakes, a bout with the porcelain god, and dehydration -- god I love mysterious sickness! I feel much bettr now, though ... I know you wanted all of these details.... ;-)

Anyway, over on the theFeature.com the other day, resident contributor Mike Masnick was discussing Mobile Advertising, a theme I'm all too familar with being involved in the field myself -- it's worth reading, to be sure.

I don't want to comment on this topic too much, simply because I haven't been impressed with all the discussion around this topic, as it generally hovers around using carriers, tyrants whom I normally don't want to interact with unless it's vitally important. Much of the talk around mobile advertising centers around either SPAM SMS or LBS (Location-Based Services) ... the former being not very effective (hence its limited use), and the latter simply not up to speed yet (and costly for those who want to use it). The talk of non-carrier based solutions, like here, here, here, or here are almost never mentioned (a conspiracy, or just ignorance?).

Since I've put my money and mouth on the latter (non-carrier based solution), I don't think it's fair for me to discuss the carrier based solutions fairly (I have a bad taste in my mouth from dealing with carriers in the past, regarding an IM solution my company used to sell) ... whatever the case, it's an area that is going to heat up quick -- but, as I noted, watch how the non-carrier based solutions are ignored ... that will be changing soon...

2 comments:

Bryan Rieger said...

David,

Great post. While I'm not in the mobile advertising space, I do happen to share your disdain for carriers (aka tyrants - love that!) as a content producer. They [carriers] are probably the one thing holding this industry back the most. They are slow moving, extremely proprietary, don't really understand media (advertising, content, etc) and should really just stay in the connectivity business. T-Mobile, Orange and their cohorts are not going to compete with the likes of Time Warner, Vivendi, etc.

David Stennett said...

Not only do they NOT not what they're doing with content, they want to 1. charge an arm and a leg to the customers for it, and 2. they have VERY poor profit sharing with content/application aggregators/producers ... total tyrants. If you're a content producer, you'll have a big opportunity in the non-carrier based proximity server department -- there will be a lot of small shops, retailers, etc... that will not want to hire somebody full time to create digital content for them, so guys like you (if you're into making digital pictures of products, for example) will make bank.