Sunday, September 18, 2005

Back from the PDC ...

Well, first off, I made it back ALIVE. I don't know how many of you have ever been in a plane that aborted landing on the first attempt, but let me tell you, if you want a sure way to crap yourself, this is it. As if flying 10 hours from LA to Amsterdam wasn't bad enough, the KLM Boeing 747-400 I was flying on decided to trick all of the passengers at the last minute, by jacking the jet-engines to full-throttle as we came over the runway to go screaming back up into the sky ... everybody in Business Class (where I was :-) had the look for SHEER HORROR on their faces ... I don't know how mine looked, but I counted to 15 and figured if I wasn't dead by then, it'd be ok ... after about 30 seconds of full-throttle going up at 45 degrees and then leveling out, the Capitan came on and said some plane hadn't managed to make it off of the run-way yet, and it was dangerous for us to land as we might rear-end it ... at least the guy was honest -- as we did a loop to come back around to land and he said, "Flight attendants prepare to land" -- everybody started laughing, since he had just said that about 10 minutes prior ....

Anyway, enough small talk ...

Microsoft's PDC, from a mobile stand-point, wasn't all that interesting. There was almost NOTHING there in regards to development stuff --- no specific SDKs for Bluetooth development ... nothing (Note: I didn't manage to see about 30% of the booths, so maybe there was something there I missed). They had some propaganda booths showing MS Mobile devices (I even played with the HTC Universial), but outside of this -- when I started pressing them with development questions in regards to Bluetooth development, seems they didn't really have anything to offer (however, I did land a Windows Mobile 5.0 Developer Eval Kit with VS .NET 2005 Beta 2 on it ...). Symbian is still far ahead in regards to SDK "openess" (although Symbian SDKs suck). Whatever the case, not much else to report ...

No comments: